Guest recipe by Linda De Villers, PhD
Author of Simple Sexy Food: 101 Tasty Aphrodisiac Recipes and Sensual Tips to Stir Your Libido and Feed Your L (
This recipe needs just a few simple ingredients and a deft hand. Egg yolk and lemon complement the taste of the asparagus.
SEXY FOODS: asparagus, egg
1 1/2 pounds asparagus, tough ends removed, spears tied in a bundle
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon sugar, optional
1. Set up a large bowl half full of ice and cold water.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the bundled asparagus until just tender-crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Drain the asparagus, reserving 1 scant cup of the cooking liquid. Immediately immerse the asparagus in the ice bath to arrest further cooking. Drain the asparagus and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon or two of the reserved cooking liquid and blend well. Stir in the remaining cooking liquid and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow
to cool slightly.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks thoroughly with the lemon juice then gradually stir into the cooled sauce.
6. Cook the sauce over very low heat, stirring constantly, until fairly thick. Be careful not to overheat the sauce or it may curdle. When thickened, remove from heat and continue
stirring for 1 minute.
7. Season to taste with salt, and if you prefer a slightly less tangy sauce, stir in the sugar. Allow the sauce to cool slightly.
8. Stir the cooled sauce and drizzle a little over the cooked asparagus. Cover the asparagus and remaining sauce separately and refrigerate both for at least 2 hours.
9. To serve, attractively arrange asparagus on individual plates and serve the lemon sauce alongside.
Simple Sexy Kitchen Tip: There’s an old Roman saying, “As quick as cooking asparagus,” meaning something accomplished rapidly. And you’ve got to appreciate its prolific growth: Some will grow 10” per day and must be harvested twice a day! Hey honey, about we cook up some asparagus over our lunch hour, and then again for dinner?
Survey Secrets Quote: “My sexiest food experience was being hand fed asparagus by a tall, thin naked lady. Wow! That sounds almost bisexual.”