Guest blog by Dani Johnson
FIVE tips to avoid letting financial issues ruin your relationship. According to most studies, financial issues are the # 1 cause for divorce.
1) THE ENEMY IS NOT YOUR SPOUSE IT IS YOUR DEBT. Debt can be overpowering, you work all month just to dig yourself deeper in debt, increasing stress, which leads to fighting that can destroy your relationship and your happiness. STOP! The enemy is not each other; the enemy is your debt and it is time to declare a war on it together.
2) LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS, RICH PEOPLE GO BANKRUPT, TOO: Whether you are worth $5M or make a modest salary, you need to live within your means. For the average American, there are simple and proven techniques that work. One example: stop wasting thousands of dollars each month on food you don’t need. Eat every item in your fridge and pantry before you go shopping and you will save THOUSANDS each month. I feed my family of eight on $100 per week.
3) PROSPER WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED: Whether you are a small business owner, an entrepreneur, or work in corporate America you need to learn to prosper where you are planted. Blaming your spouse, your parents or your boss will not fix your problems. The debt fairy is not coming. It is time to stop complaining and get to work.
4) TURN THE BLACKBERRY OFF: Work as hard at your home life as you do at the office! Set aside time completely devoted to your wife, husband and kids. Don’t take business calls or even think about business. This not only reminds you how much you love each other but will recharge your batteries so you are itching to go back to work to kick butt.
5) COMMUNICATE AND DO NOT COMMIT FINANCIAL INFIDELITY: A poll recently commissioned by Forbes Women showed that 31% of Americans lie to their spouses about money. This is the fastest way to sabotage your relationship. Sit down with each other, figure out where you can trim back and set goals for yourselves. Money should not tear you apart. If you are open and honest with each other, you can overcome these issues together and it will make you stronger.
“First Steps to Wealth” is available for free at www.danijohnson.com